Arado Ar 79 B

Setting numerous international records, the Ar 79 B was flown by many famous pre-war German pilots.

Classy classic

In her day, the Arado Ar 79 B was considered to be an unusually modern two-seater.
Built in 1939 as a training and cruising plane at the Arado aircraft works in Brandenburg-Neuendorf, the Arado Ar 79 B flew for the French High Commissioner in Saarland after 1945.

By 1967 she had changed hands several times. The German Museum of Technology in Berlin acquired the plane in summer 1995. The Deutsche Lufthansa Berlin-Stiftung restored the plane in a joint project at Lufthansa's Hamburg base and displayed her at air shows from 1996 to 2001. Since fall 2001, the Arado Ar 79 B has been on permanent exhibition at the Museum of Technology in Berlin.

Key facts
• Tail sign: D-EMVT
• Year built:
1939
• Crew:
1
• Passengers:
1
• Engine:
1 x Hirth HM 500 A1
• Cruising speed:
205 km/h (110.7 kts)
• Top speed:
230 km/h (124.2 kts)
• Maximum range:
Approx. 1025 km (637 miles)
• Ceiling:
Approx. 4,500 m (14,764 ft)
• Length:
7.60 m (24 ft 11 in)
• Wingspan:
10.00 m (32 ft 10 in)